Printing Hints - At the bottom of each section is a gold line that turns red when the cursor is placed on it.
Click the red line and a Print Version of that section pops up which can be
printed. When printing any part of this page, it will probably print better
in landscape orientation. In some browsers, landscape will be set
automatically by printer code embedded in the page.
Photo provided by Bill Ferguson.
Eighth Avenue has gone through a number of evolutions.
At some time, it was decided the street would look better with trees near the centre line.
Meandering cars ran into the trees, so the trees were considered hazardous and removed.
Photo from 1964 edition of the Australian Sugar Year Book.
This photo shows parking on both sides of the street, one lane for south-bound traffic,
and a very wide north-bound lane. There was also centre parking although it was so far
to the eastern side of the street, "centre parking" hardly seems to be the correct term.
The sign on the building at 127 8th Ave shows Mercer Draper (building at left of photo). More history of this building below.
Eighth Avenue along the Western side -
112 Eighth Ave
Andrews Footwear & Frocking
Magic Moments Health & Gifts
116 Eighth Ave
Peter Hogden & Co Public Accountants
NQAS moved to 7th Avenue.
Jezzard’s furniture store - "The Good Homemakers".
Magic Moments colourful steps visible on left.
Ben’s current store after moving from 119 Eighth Avenue on the eastern side of the avenue.
164 - 170 Eighth Ave
Ashworths Jewellers and Gems. This site was occupied by Honeycombes Tractors, Trucks and Farm Machinery until 1971.
Rapidly changing technology and designs in farm machinery, the cost of two stocks of spare parts, improvements in transport and communications
led to a decision by Honeycombes to consolidate their spare parts and servicing in Ayr.
Ashworths Pty Ltd (formerly of Ayr) purchased the site and built a new show room between Honeycombe’s wooden office building and a shed.
The sudden shortage of building materials after Cyclone Althea struck Townsville on Christmas Eve 1971 caused problems. Clear glass was fitted to the toilet windows
until frosted glass became available again several months later. Hard wood had to be used in the ceiling.
Johno Woodward had just started his apprenticeship and was assigned to the team fitting the ceiling panels. He still vividly remembers the problems he
had driving the nails into that hard wood. Ashworths moved to their new site early in 1972.
The house at 164 8th Ave was the residence of the former manager of Honeycombes (Joe Ralph). The house was sold and moved to its current site in 14th Avenue.
Honeycombes former office was firstly a museum where the Historical Society displayed their exhibits. After the Society moved to the Historical Precinct
in Brandon, the building was occupied by Burdekin Clay Goods. Following extensive damage to the roof in a vicious storm on the eve of 19th Jan 2001,
this business moved to Tudge Haller’s original shop on the corner of 8th Ave and 9th St. Last occupied by Keep It Simple Crafts.
Eighth Avenue along the Eastern side -
145 Eighth Ave
The Malpass Hotel provides four-star backpacker accommodation for the people who come to the Burdekin
during the fruit and vegetable planting and picking seasons. Transport is provided to and from work. Facilities - all rooms are air-conditioned,
fridges in all rooms, bed linen is provided, and cooking facilities are available. Their new drive-through is visible at the left.
The hotel was extensively damaged in Cyclone Aivu in 1989. Parts of the verandas and much of the roof were lost.
It was repaired stronger than ever.
Embedded in the front wall of the hotel is a stone plaque with the names of the builder, the architect and the date 13 March 1924.
Monochrome panel on right - An advertisement in the 1950 edition of the Australian Sugar Year Book.
127 Eighth Ave
above - currently the Silver Link Interpretive Centre.
Burdekin Clay Goods moved here after a bad storm on
19th Jan 2001 damaged the roof at their former site in
Jezard's Furniture. Jezard's main store was across the street at 116 8th Ave.
above - Advertisement 1950 - Tudge Haller's original store. Later this business moved to 119 8th Ave.
again (a second and final time) after moving from 119 8th Ave. Photo